In the United States, today is Thanksgiving. It’s a day for family, feasting and counting our blessings. At my church, we have a Thanksgiving service on the Wednesday night before Thanksgiving. Each person who wants to takes a few dried kernals of corn and goes to the front of the church drops each one in a basket, speaking out loud something they thank God for. Due to bad weather conditions, that service was cancelled this year. So I decided to incorporate it here in my Thursday 13. Here are 13 things I consider blessings in my life, in no particular order:
2. Having an apartment within walking distance to work.
4. My publisher Liquid Silver Books.
6. My laptop.
8. My church family.
10. Romance Divas.
12. That my mom’s surgery went well.
This is my first published work and I am so excited about it I could squeal! This book began as a gift for a friend at work. Her husband was being a pain (They do tend to be that way from time to time, right?) so I jokingly said I would write her a perfect man. She listed off the characteristics that she thought would make a perfect man: strong and fierce but tender with her. A man who could take charge but respect her and her opinions. She said she’d like a man who would move heaven and earth for her, but always listen to her concerns. She wanted a man who would always be sure she found pleasure in bed before he did. That got a good giggle from the rest of the gals in the break room, but hey, this is a romance story. I told her I could arrange for that. So as a type of joke I began writing this story. But as I wrote it I began taking it seriously. I became very attached to the characters of Taye and Carla. I thought Taye should be introduced to a larger audience than a few of the gals at work. So here he is. I hope my readers will love Taye as much as I do.
Sleeping With The Wolf
Sterling Silver title
Rising country music star Carla boards a plane in the year 2014. But it crashes in the future, fifty years after Armageddon has destroyed technology and plagues have reduced the female population to a precious few. She finds herself offered as prize in a Bride Fight, where only the strongest and fiercest men are allowed to compete to win a wife. Alpha werewolf Taye knows Carla is his mate. He wins the Bride Fight and takes her to his den, ready to give her everything, even his heart. Will Carla ever be ready to give him anything?
Read an Excerpt Here: Sleeping Ch 1
Word Count: 42500
Buy It! at These Places
My very first story will be released by Liquid Silver Books on November 22, 2010. If you like werewolf romance, stories with a strong hero who respects the heroine, time travel romance, stories where the heroine has to find a place for her in an unfamiliar world or romance that takes place in a post-apocalyptic world, I think you’ll love this one. I honestly enjoyed writing it. Taye was so much fun. Fierce and tender, and willing to do anything to make his mate happy.
November has been a very busy month for me. Here are just a few of the things I’ve had/will have going on:
1. Mom’s surgery, Nov 2. My mom had a new plate and screws put into her arm. I was with her for quite a bit of that, from Nov 1 through Nov 7.
2. Embroidery Fail, Nov 7. I was making an Anglo-Saxon tunic for a friend, and I began embroidering a collar with my handspun wool, but I failed to meet the deadline. Instead I slapped a plain collar on it and called it good.
3. Final Line Edits for Sleeping With the Wolf, Nov 10. All done!
4. Drove on horrible winter roads, Nov 13. The first big nasty snowstorm of the year. Saw about a dozen cars in the ditch on a 20 mile stretch of road.
5. Spoke for Berwyn’s Pelican ceremony, Nov 13. This was a very cool thing, totally worth driving on icy roads for.
6. Survived the first day without company coffee, Nov 15. My job has decided to save some money by not providing free coffee. The cafeteria ran out of coffee the first hour, even tho its prices are ridiculous.
7. Learned how to work diabetic strips and lancets claims, Nov 16. Oy vey!
8. Had to update the status of 857 Accounts Receivable manually, Nov 17. This should take onlya few minutes but because I had to do it by hand, it took 3 hours.
9. Donated 15″ of my hip length hair to Locks of Love, Nov 17. I miss it. Sob. But hopefully some kids will benefit from it.
10. Sleeping With the Wolf will be released from Liquid Silver Books on November 22.
11. Thanksgiving, November 25! Because of mom’s surgery we’ll be doing a small dinner with only a few of the family. And that’s probably best anyway.
12. My Book Release Party, Nov 29. My friends are even more excited than I am that I get to be a published author. They are throwing a party for me at a local restaurant/bar. If you’re in or near Fargo North Dakota drop by the Green Mill at 7pm.
13. Must. Finish. The Wolf’s Glory!!! Unfortunately, NaNo has been a bust for me. November has been busy and stressful and disorganized. Hopefully December will be better.
I love names. I own a few dog-eared copies of “name your baby” books and will often go through them to find a name I like for a hero or heroine or secondary characters. Writers are usually on the hunt for the perfect name for their characters, and I’m no exception. I sometimes just read lists of names for the fun of it. Or a take a plain name and hunt up foreign variations of it, or interesting spellings, or mish-mash it with another name. This is particularly fun if you are writing a fantasy and want an unusual name that isn’t heard of on 21st century Earth.
Take my name, Maddy, as an example.
Here are Thirteen variations on Maddy:
See all the fun stuff you can do with a name? How do you choose a character name?
Well, it’s been a tough first week. Mom’s surgery is done and it went well, but she needs someone with her all the time. So I have done almost zero writing. And now I have to sew an Anglo Saxon tunic and then I’m gone all next weekend. AFTER THAT I get to write. Sigh. I’m very much doubting I’ll write 50,000 words. However, you never know. Right?
Well, I’m off to a very slow start on my NaNo attempt.
1. I didn’t quite finish my work in progress (The Wolf’s Glory). I think another 2000 or possibly 3000 words will finish the rough draft. I refuse to start something new until that is completed. So, No NaNo for me yet.
2. My mom is having surgery tomorrow. Off to her house tonight to help her get ready for surgery.
3. Working late tonight to try to keep caught up with my work while I’m out with mom’s surgery.
So, I’m off to write all I can on The Wolf’s Glory. The heroine has to admit she loves him for more than just his enthusiasm in bed. It would rock if I could complete it tonight. Not holding my breath, tho